Anxiety and worry! Ugh! Makes you tired to think about it! I believe these are two of the things that cause a multitude of problems in the lives of Christians and ultimately the home life of the believer. For many people it leads to destruction. In the emails we receive at Hope Biblical Counseling Center many people are distressed about their many “life issues.” Just living is hard! Relationships, children, marital, financial, job, and many other things and the list could go on and on! Life issues sometimes are perplexing and the wrong choices in a life issue can create more stress, worry, and anxiety for the person. Many people create their own life issues by not making biblical choices. A number of people we talk with in our counseling program really struggle with their life choices. Ultimately, life is a choice! It all comes down to the way I determine my choices.
The Bible tells us to live by faith. But honestly, how many believers do that? Serious question. What is faith anyway?
Romans 1:17 says, For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.
Alright, so we are commanded to live by faith. Notice it says faith to faith meaning today when this issue comes up and tomorrow when this issue comes up I will trust God. The definition of living by faith is to trust God with each instance. I must learn to turn my life issues over to God as they happen. I call this the point of spiritual impact. Immediately when whatever it is happens we should (must) mentally and verbally turn the issue over to God. The Bible is our guide book. It tells us what faith is and how to exercise it.
Romans 10:17 says, So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
In our counseling program most of the people who are having severe life issues, do not know what faith is and how they are to exercise it, because they have little or no relationship with God through His Word. If you do not understand what I just said, I would encourage you to look at our website for our booklet, How to Have a Real Relationship with God-The Work of the Holy Spirit in a Person’s Life.
This booklet will explain in detail how to go about having a real relationship with God by submitting to and allowing the Holy Spirit to teach and control you.
So, how do I overcome daily anxiety and worry? Remember everything in life is a choice even faith and when I exercise it. I have to make Jesus Christ real in my life daily at the point of impact. Anxiety and worry are also choices each of us makes on a daily basis.
I read in the The Fundamentalist Digest edited by Dr. Don Jasmin, some interesting thoughts on this subject. He stated the source of those thoughts were unknown.
In Dealing with Daily Anxiety and Worry My Biblical Choice through Faith in God’s Word is:
- I choose to rejoice today in God. God made this day for me to enjoy Him. Psalm 118:24, This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 37:4, Delight thyself also in the Lord; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. Folks, there is a distinct difference between divine enjoyment and human happiness!
- God made my body, mind, and will to serve Him. I choose to present them back to Him today in living sacrificial service. Romans 12:1-2, I beseech you therefore, brethren by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect will of God. Philippians 1:21, For to me to live is Christ and to die is gain.
- I choose this day to do right; then God will establish my thoughts and guide my actions. John 7:17, If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God or whether I speak of myself. Proverbs 16:3, Commit thy works unto the Lord, and thy thoughts shall be established. Psalm 37:5,Commit thy way unto the Lord; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass. Jeremiah 17:7, Blessed is the man that trusteth in the Lord and whose hope the Lord is.
- I choose this day as I rejoice in God to cast all my burdens upon Him and He will sustain and strengthen me. Psalm 55:22, Cast thy burden upon the Lord, and he shall sustain thee. He shall not suffer the righteous to be moved. Nehemiah 8:10, Then he said unto them, Go your way, eat the fat, and drink the sweet, and send portions unto them for whom nothing is prepared; for this day is holy unto the Lord; neither be ye sorry; for the joy of the Lord is your strength.
- I choose to trust and serve God fully today, for He has promised to care for all my temporal needs. Matthew 6:25-34, Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat and the body more than raiment? Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not; neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them, Are ye not much better than they? Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature? And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin. And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and tomorrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith? Therefore, take no thought saying, what shall we eat? Or what shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek;) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of these things. But seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. Take no thought for the morrow; for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
- As I choose with humble gratitude to commit my anxiety to God, He will uplift me with His peace and honor. Philippians 4:6-7,Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplications with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God which passeth all understanding, shall keep your heart and minds through Christ Jesus. I Peter 5:6-7, Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time; Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.
- I choose to please God today by avoiding worldly covetousness and commitments. For He is ever present with me. Hebrews 13:5, Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have; for he hath said, I will never leave thee nor forsake thee. II Timothy 2:4, No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.
- I choose to be free from guilt today by seeking forgiveness and cleansing of my sins before God and others. I John 1:9. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. Luke 11:4, And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive everyone that is indebted to us, And lead us not into temptation but deliver from evil.
- I choose regular restful sleep as a gift from a loving God: Psalm 127:2, It is vain for you to rise up early, to sit up late, to eat the bread of sorrows, for so he giveth his beloved sleep. Matthew 11:28-30, Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart; and ye shall find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
So, there you have it. The Bible gives it to us very straightforwardly. Now here comes the hard part……. apply it at the point of spiritual impact! Make Jesus Christ real today in your life! You do not have to live in anxiety, worry and fear. Remember God loves you and wants your life to be bought under the control of the Holy Spirit, not tomorrow, but today, right now, at the point of spiritual impact!