Thank you for reading today. Our greatest desire is that you would be encouraged in the Lord today! In my daily time with God today, the Holy Spirit spoke to me about “setting our affection on things above.” The Apostle Paul tells us exactly how that is done in another great passage of Scripture, Colossians chapter 3. He tells what to do and what not to do.
God Wants Us to Learn What to Do With Our Affections
Today I have been meditating on these wonderful verses. It is extremely practical and to move forward for the Saviour we have to apply these verses to our lives.
Colossians 3:1-10, If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. (2) Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. (3) For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God. (4) When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory. (5) Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry: (6) For which things’ sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience: (7) In the which ye also walked some time, when ye lived in them. (8) But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth. (9) Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds; (10) And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:
Mortification is the Key to a Godly Life
Notice the order here and what is happening.
1. If you are saved it is expected that you will seek those things which are above.
2. Set your affections (emotions) on things above, not on things on the earth. I tell our counselees that if you make decisions based on your emotions you will be led into sin every time. This means I have to deal with my emotions by asking God every day is there any sin that stands between you and me? Confess the sin and repent of it. Ask the Holy Spirit to lead you today, not your emotions.
3. Mortify (put to death) this whole list of ungodly things in verse 5. Make a choice not to let them be a part of your life: fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry. Uncleanness is a generic term meaning any form of sexual sin. Evil concupiscence is any evil lust. Inordinate affection means homosexuality.
4. These things cause the wrath of God to come upon a life.
5. Verses 8 and 9, put all these things out of your life. But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth. (9) Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;
6. How? By putting on the new man. How is this done? Ephesians 4:22-24, That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts; (23) And be renewed in the spirit of your mind; (24) And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.
You put off the old man, by confessing that sin and repenting of it by renewing your mind by allowing the Holy Spirit to teach you today in His Word. Ask Him to do so. He is the Master Teacher! The more you let Him teach you, the more your mind will be changed about that sin which besets you.
Remember, be the vessel God can use today by asking the Holy Spirit to show you if you are living your life without mortifying sin? Are you living in the sin of allowing selfish and carnal thinking or listening to rule your life and making you not focusing setting your affections on things above? Be all you can be for Him today and have a powerful testimony of living a Spirit controlled yielded godly life that is serving and living with humility, joy and peace! We encourage you today to make Jesus Christ real in your life by humbly yielding to Him and living for Him, not the life of selfish carnal thinking and speaking. It is an important choice! Tell God you want to yield yourself to Him today and be a trusting, useful, and rewarded servant! Rejoice in Him today!
With a heart to glorify God and serving the God of answers,